Thursday, December 15, 2011

Brown Paper Bag Turkey

I'm not the biggest turkey fan.  I like it on sandwiches and I enjoy it for the holidays, but I have never been impressed with it.  Until this year.  A cute friend of mine, gave me this recipe and it made the most moist and flavorful turkey I have ever had.  It is easy, but it takes the oven for a while...but completely worth it!

{image via}

1.Thaw turkey as instructed on package.

2.Remove wrapper, giblets & neck from inside turkey cavity. Wash turkey inside and out.

3.Prepare spices by pouring salt, pepper, garlic, sage, etc. into medium bowl. Mix together and rub spices inside & outside of turkey. Be generous with spices. I usually use 4 good handfuls.

4.Oil the inside of large paper grocery bag. I use stick of butter.

5.Place turkey inside the bag. Staple closed. If turkey is too large put one on each end.

6.Place bagged turkey (with breast down) in roasting pan. I used a large stainless steal bowl works, as it keeps the juices up around the turkey.

7.Cover securely with aluminum foil.

8.Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roast turkey for 30-45 min. (10-12lb. Turkey for 30 min, bigger turkey takes longer.)

*The purpose is to thoroughly heat the whole bird to eliminate the chances of salmonella*

9.Reduce heat to 250 degrees. Roast for remainder of time. 10-12lb turkey for 7-9 hours, a 20lb turkey for 10-12 hours. (I suggest using a digital thermometer...it helps insure it isn't dry.

10.Remove from oven with enough time to de-bone and make gravy
 
*After slicing, pour some of the juice over the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...